Monday, April 12, 2010

"That which is before you is less than what you've come through."

That's an old Yoruba saying that encouraged me so much. Thanks, Natasha :)
Lately I've just been so anxious to finish school and move on with my life. And, as my junior year is coming to a close, I get so restless when I think about how I have a whole year to get through before I'm finally free. Before I can graduate. But "that which I have before me is less than what I've come through." I have so much behind me, and just a little left to go. I'm just impatient sometimes. In a rush for what lies ahead.
And yet, there's so much to look forward to in the meantime, so many beautiful moments in between. To be honest, if I fast-forwarded my life to my graduation, skipping over everything else, I'd feel pretty cheated. There would be so much I missed out on. So many inside jokes, holidays, conversations. Moments of uncontrollable laughter, of awe, of sheer wonder. I would miss out on those experiences. Those lovely, memorable instances and occurences and incidents. The times spent with people I love, people that inspire me, people that speak into my life. There's so much that takes place in the midst of waiting. So much that touches your heart, cracks you up, moves your spirit. So much happens in the season that leads up to what you've been so restlessly awaiting, what you've been counting down the days for.
And, even those days when the wait seems maddening, even those days when it seems like graduation will never come, I don't want to miss any of it. I don't want to miss any of those beautiful in-between moments. Because, really, each new day is a gift, and there will never, ever be another one like it. And I know that someday soon (though it doesn't seem soon now), high school, graduation, all of it will be in the past, just in my memory.
This time of expectancy, this time of eagerness and impatience, is a gift all its own. A season filled with so many wondrous, hilarious, joyful, terrible, trivial, astonishing, tender, devastating, warm, aching, amusing, breath-taking moments that bide the time. The wait is a gift in itself. Without the wait, we wouldn't have anything to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment