Monday, November 28, 2011

Things that got me through last winter.

Winter's great. Yeah. I mean, who doesn't love freezing to death ALL the time, especially when you're in your own home? And, I mean, what's better than being late to everything all the time because your car's windshield, windows, and friggin' doors are frozen solid? Not to mention static-y hair, dry skin, and those oh-so-alluring perpetually-chapped lips? Attractive. But, okay, if you're me, you need little things to get you through those seemingly endless, icy, blah months without losing your mind.
So, here's what kept me sane last winter:
-How I Met Your Mother. "Because this is gonna be LEGEN---Wait for it...Wait for it...YOU BETTER NOT BE LACTOSE INTOLERANT 'CUZ THE LAST PART OF THIS SENTENCE IS---DARY."
-Coconut Records. "'Cuz I miss you, I'm goin' back home to the West Coast..."
-Skins US. Because nothing helps take your mind off the frozen wasteland that is your life during those winter months better than a train wreck of a television show about stupid-yet-somehow-loveable teenagers behaving badly. Okay, the word "badly" may be a bit of an understatement...
-Flight of the Conchords. Business Time. Jenny. Albi the Racist Dragon. "Don't touch me tail, you'll make it dirty!" WEAK!
-Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. I will never settle for anything less than a Sam and Grace kind of love.
-Russell Brand. He's so witty and actually kind of charming.
-Noxzema. Just because. I liked the smell.
-Cursive. No, not the near-extinct writing style. They're a band. A really weird one. But I like them. "LET. ME. UUUUUUUP."
-Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Thank you for robbing me of sleep for three nights straight. It was worth it, I always loved Peeta. I'd take the guy that bakes bread and paints over the guy that kills things any day. Favorite line? "Peeta and I grow back together."
-Band of Horses. The Funeral. Is there a ghost. Yes.
-Nail polish. So much nail polish.

The forecast for what's going to be keeping me from taking the sub-arctic leap this coming winter:
-Big Bang. Raj, Sheldon, Leonard, and Howard are the guys I would've sat with at lunch in high school.
-The Dear Hunter. You probably already know about my deep, undying love for this band. If I could marry a voice, it would be Casey Crescenzo's. He would sing me to sleep every single night.
-The Scorpio Races by Maggie Siefvater. Maybe? Yes? We'll see. But I have to read it, there's no way that I can't.
-More nail polish. Because I have a problem. But I don't care.
-Tylenol pm. What could be so wrong with tranquilizing yourself on those nights where you're just too wound up to fall asleep on your own? Judging me? It's cool.
-Tea. And espresso. So much espresso. I can already tell.
-National Geographic. Because I love it. So much. I love reading about how you're never, EVER by yourself when you're in Bangladesh and Kenyan orphanages for baby elephants and Gengis Khan's descendants and what's being done about fistula, child brides, cholera in Haiti, so on and so forth. Tell me. Tell me more, NatGeo.
-Emergen-C. I've always been kind of a sickly thing, so I drink one every day (especially in the winter) to keep my immune system strong. The flavor of this month is mango. I'm planning to try pink lemonade, pomegranate, raspberry, and lemon lime. Might as well spice up my fizzy anti-itis drank by experimenting with different flavors. I like to keep things exciting, you know.
-Painting. Thank you, Gloria. You re-awakened my passion for it. :)

Well, that's all I got. We'll see what the coming months bring. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment