Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It's been a long time. But I have returned!

Seven months. It's been seven. months. Since I last blogged. And, oh, have I missed it.
So, you see, what happened was. I may or may not have tried out tumblr. Okay, I did.
And I thought it was pretty great. But, just for the record, I had no intention of ditching this blog. I love this blog, I wouldn't do that. But, okay, so tumblr was fun and all until it gave my little pink laptop a horrendous virus and pretty much killed it. For real, she's dead. Forever. I trusted tumblr and that's what it did to me. :( It had a sketch side to it anyway, I'm better off without it. But I really miss my laptop.
So, I haven't been able to get on my blog with my laptop being dead. The only other computer I have access to has a really strict, temperamental filter that blocked blogger for some reason. But then when I tried today it let me through! So yay! I'm not really sure why, but I won't question it.
So, man. There's no way I can fill you in on everything that's gone on in the past half a year or so. But it's been...it's been good. It's been crazy. But God is so good.
This has been (some of) my life:
-Decided in March that I wanted to go to Regent University.
-Graduated from high school with high honors and was the Christian Leadership Award recipient for the class of 2011.
-Found out in mid-July that Regent just wasn't going to work out. Loooong story.
-Decided I'd go to Thomas Nelson Community College for a year and transfer somewhere else.

And then, you see, I went there. To that place. I can't even describe what made it so horrible besides just the utter wrong-ness of it. I seriously have never cried more than when I started going there. I just hated it. So much. I was miserable and not learning anything besides "How to Lose Faith in Mankind 101."
So, I dropped all my classes, returned my books, and got a refund.
Sooo, looks like I'm taking the semester off. The plan is to work, save up some cash, and get ready to start college (REAL college) in the spring.
My list of constructive, semi-adult things I plan to do while taking a gap semester:
-Work. I got a job. In the cutest coffee shop ever called EspressOasis. I'm a barista. I've seriously always wanted to be a barista and it is GLORIOUS. I love it so much I can't even describe it. The best part is the smell. Coffee. Espresso. Vanilla. Chai. YESSS. And, for real, it just suits me like destiny. I get to wear this awesome purple apron and meet/talk to people and make drinks and it is just so fun. For real. So, I'll be taking on more shifts. Because I can. And because I love it.
-Getting into/getting ready for/saving up for/getting grants and scholarships and taking out loans for college. I'm thinking Liberty University. Also a very long story with God all up in it. Okay, yes, I hated on it. I made zombie brain-washing jokes and told my friends who were going there not to drink the kool-aid. But it's different now. I'm different. And too many God-things have happened for me not to think it's the place for me.
-Teaching myself Farsi. I finally have time. I'm going to do it.
-Skateboard. Okay, not very grown up. But who cares? Girls skate for free at Meko's ALL THE TIME. I'd be dumb not to take advantage while I'm still here!
-Master the interstate. Because I'm still intimidated.
-Chain-read. And write. A lot. This blog will be very busy, I think. :)
Hmm, what else? I guess that's all I got for now.
So today was my last day at Thomas Nelson and it was actually pretty cool. I went over there (for the last time!!!!) to return my books and get whatever money I could for them (college book stores are nothing but glorified robbery). Then I was going to meet up with my friend Sam. We were going to have lunch and skype Valerie (his girlfriend and one of my best friends in the universe).
As I'm making my way over to meet him, I hear someone calling my name. I look over and see a guy I knew from middle school. We were in the same English class this semester, so we both knew the other went here but I hadn't been expecting to run into him today. Now, okay, to be honest here, I don't particularly like running into this guy. He makes me uncomfortable. But not for the reason you'd think. I don't like seeing him because it makes me remember how wrong I treated him in middle school. Everyone did, and it was not okay at all. So, even though I've apologized to him and asked the Lord to forgive me, I would still feel a little ashamed whenever I ran into him. Today wasn't any different. So, automatically, I'm thinking "oh great..." He says he needs some advice and that he's sinned. Again, my brain's going "SOS. Abort. Abort."
Now, this guy knows I'm a Christian. In fact, that's all we really talked about whenever we had English class together. He could never get over how different I was from back in middle school and I couldn't stop telling him about Jesus.
So, I guess it would make sense for him to come to me today. But I'm no priest. And this is not a confessional. So, right up front, I tell him he doesn't have to tell me. He can tell Jesus and He will forgive Him, whatever it is. He tells me I'm right but he has a question for me. My mind racing, I ask, "What is it?" And he asks me what he can do to get his family back in church. This is something I'm personally dealing with right now with my brother, so I can relate. We talked for a few minutes, about how you can't force anyone to do anything, they have to want it for themselves. That's definitely something I've learned and it's so true. I told him, among other things, to pray for them and to lead by example. Then as we're walking I find myself telling him again about how much Jesus has changed my life, about how other things claim to be the answer but HE is the only answer. That He is the only thing that will truly change his life because He is the only one with the power. I tell him to remember that. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Then we parted ways. Who knows if I'll ever see him again? But I'm glad I got to say those things to him. I'm glad I was able to be used by God in that place one more time.
Oh, hey. My hair is short. And black. Valerie dyed it for me one night at like 11 pm because I asked her to. She did a great job, but I do kinda miss my natural color. It was fun to try it out, though, see how I liked it. I got my third hole, too. Like two days after graduating, I got it. So now just one ear has three holes. I have an elephant stud in it right now :) Still really obsessed with elephants. They're so majestic.
Ha, okay. What else to say? I feel like there's so much to fill you in on, but I really can't. There's been so much and yet there hasn't at the same time. Ah, well. That's all I have for now anyway, I covered the big stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment