Friday, September 9, 2011

Saying Goodbye.

So much is changing. And that's okay.
I get that it happens, that it's all part of growing up. But it's just sad.
People I thought would be in my life forever, I'm slowly finding out, are becoming totally different people from who I thought they were. And they don't even really want me in their lives anymore. I guess the one friend that's still gonna tell you the truth about why what you're doing is wrong can be a real buzz-kill. Yet I still answer the phone when they need to dump on me about their problems and ask me to pray for them. I will always answer the phone. But it's been ringing less and less. But I guess that's okay.

I said goodbye to a dear friend yesterday who's leaving for college this weekend. She's moving very far away and I won't see her again for three months. Which I know will fly by, that's not the problem. I'm just worried what I'll find when she comes back. I will still love her regardless, but still. I hate to see my friends make so much unnecessary baggage for themselves by the choices they make. It makes me sad.
So anyway, after work yesterday, we hung out for a few hours. We just walked around and she told me about what's been going on in her life. She was different, but still the same. She's just a girl trying to live her life the way she wants to. In ways I don't really think will do her much good. But I only give my advice when she asks it, and I never judge her. Those are things I've learned.
I love her. I really do. I just want her to be happy. And maybe she is. But I don't want her to wake up one day years down the road and think, "How'd I get here?" I don't want her to hurt and regret and not value herself.
But I guess it's really not my responsibility. It's her life and she's going to live it. All I can do is love her. And pray. Which I do, so much.
When we were saying goodbye yesterday I told her I loved her and we hugged a lot. But before I got out of her car the last things I said to her were, "Be safe." She said she would. And, "Don't be stupid." She said she wouldn't.
We have the kind of friendship where we understand each other. We just get the other. So she knew what those two little commands meant.
"Be safe" = Don't die, get pregnant, touch drugs, or get yourself seriously injured.
"Don't be stupid" = Don't get pregnant or put yourself in dangerous situations where the above list could occur.
She's a smart girl, though. In the sense that I know she's going to be all right no matter what goes down.
I just. I just want her to know she doesn't need the stuff she thinks she does. That it doesn't have what she's looking for.
Life. Change. Adulthood. Ehh.

No comments:

Post a Comment